Local History Expert discusses Cleveleys, Lancashire.




Janet Rushworth MBE


Local historian Janet Rushworth MBE, (author of several local history reference books as well the popular “Benjamin Bodice-ripper” series of romantic historical novels) tells Cleveleys News about the rich heritage and unique origins of Cleveleys in this rare telephone interview.

Transcript begins

by Barbara, January 29th, 2014 19:00

“Hello?”

“Hello Janice?”

“Who is this please?”

“It’s Geoff from Cleveleys News, you agreed to give us an interview for the website?”

“It’s Janet”

“Sorry?”

“My name.”

“Whose name?”

“It’s Janet, you asked for Janice, my name is Janet, Janet Rushworth, and you asked for Janice, it’s not the best start to an interview is it?”

“No, I assure you, I definitely asked for Janet”

“You asked for Janice, I heard you quite distinctly.”

“No, I didn’t”

“Are you calling me a liar?”

“Not at all, I’m just suggesting you misheard me.”

“Oh, so you’re calling me deaf? A deaf old woman with nothing of interest to say.”

“No!”

“Addled and unable to form a coherent thought, well thank you very much.”

“No”

“Just because I made one brief error of judgement a decade ago, you think I’m just a junkie whore with no moral compass and an unhealthy interest in toothbrushes, well I’m sick of it, sick, sick, sick of it and you can push off and bother someone else.”

“No, wait! Please, Mrs Rushton!!”

“RushWORTH!”

“Sorry, Rushworth, that’s not why I’m calling at all.”

“Well what is it then?”

“Look, I work for Cleveleys News, I really just want to hear about your thoughts on the rich heritage and unique origins of Cleveleys”

“Cleveleys?”

“Yes, Cleveleys”

“Never heard of it.”

“What?”

“NEVER HEARD OF IT”

“No, I heard you the first time, but what do you mean, you’ve written several books about the local history of the Wyre and Fylde.”

“No. Never heard of it.”

“Two of your “Benjamin Bodice-ripper” novels were set in Cleveleys – ‘Cleavage in Cleveleys’ & ‘Bondage in Bispham’”

“You gave a talk on Cleveleys at the Frank Townend centre last week, that’s when we arranged this interview.”

“Not ringing a bell.”

“You yourself were born in Cleveleys.”

“Oh Cleveleys? Cleveleys. Of course I know Cleveleys. But you said Cleethorpes.”

“No, no I didn’t”

“No, I assure YOU, you did”

“I didn’t”

“See? Not so nice to be on the receiving end is it?”

“I’m sorry, what?”

“Not so nice to be the one accused? How does THAT make you feel? Two can play at this game.”


“Honestly. I’m not trying to play games Janice.”

“JANET! JANET!! JANET!! JANET!!! How many TIMES?”

(Phone hangs up……………)

“Hello? Hello?
No, she’s gone, can you type that up for me Babs?”


Transcript ends

by Barbara, January 29th, 2014 19:06

Look out for more Cleveleys news interviews coming soon. 
Enjoy our regular Twitter feed at @cleveleysnews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord of the Chance

The Doctor Will Review You Now...

15 things you won't know about Cleveleys unless you follow Cleveleys News